April 2023 Year-Over-Year Highlights
- Bankruptcy filings including all chapters totaled 35,479, a 9% increase from the April 2022 total of 32,530.
- Commercial chapter 11 filings increased 32 percent to 277 in April 2023 from the 210 filings recorded in April 2022.
- Commercial filings increased slightly, totaling 1,820 compared to the 1,785 filed in April 2022.
- Subchapter V small business elections increased 81 percent to 157 in April 2023 from the 87 filings last April.
- Individual filings increased 10%, totaling 33,659 compared to the 30,745 filed in April 2022.
Interested in the filing breakdown by chapter? Or month-over-month trends? What are experts saying about the findings?
To read the latest statistical analysis from Epiq and ABI, please click here.
To follow the market trends with us, get on-demand access to Bankruptcy Analytics, providing daily metrics on new filings, open cases, closed cases and key case stakeholder. Create an account today.
Subchapter V Small Business Elections Within Chapter 11
April 2022 vs. 2023
ABI has partnered with Epiq Bankruptcy Analytics to provide the most current bankruptcy filing data for analysts, researchers, and members of the news media. Epiq Bankruptcy is the leading provider of data, technology, and services for companies operating in the business of bankruptcy. Its new Bankruptcy Analytics subscription service provides on-demand access to the industry’s most dynamic bankruptcy data, updated daily. Learn more by clicking here.
Archive of monthly statistical sheets from Epiq. (March 2022-April 2012)